Sunday 9 June 2013

Wychwood 2013, The way it was part 2

And so to Saturday.....

The day dawned bright and gloriously sunny as I left to pick up my sister who was coming with me today.

When we arrived at the main stage it was one of those moments where you wish you'd come just 30 minutes sooner as we were lucky enough to catch the last three songs by an amazing band called The Moulettes. They were fabulous, driving electro folk rock. Yes I know,  who would have thought that would work? but it did and it does you should all check them out.

We then stayed long enough to catch a few songs by the absolutely legendary Eddie & the Hot Rods who were slick, rocking and altogether rather good, showing the kids how it should be done.

However, we had other fish to fry so to speak and it was off to The Big Top to catch see Public Service Broadcasting who I had never heard off before my sister told me about them but as the Big Top was rammed it was obvious this relatively new band had a very big following.  I was not disappointed,their set was the absolute highlight off the day and possibly the festival and they are firmly at the top of my 'bands to see again' list.

PSB blend video, guitar, drums and keyboards and a brilliant used of sampling to create a hugely funky danceable set of music.  They are two beautifully English boys the wonderfully named  J Willgoose Esq and Wrigglesworth and as my sister said of J Willgoose Esq 'you have to love a man who buttons up his shirt and rolls down his sleeves to come on stage'

If PSB are appearing at a venue near you soon, do not hesitate, just go.

After a sit down , a cup of tea it was back to the Main Stage to see 90's indie band The Wedding Present. It was obvious that this band still have a huge following judging by the enthusiastic response to all their songs from a large part of the crowd.

I have to confess that this particular jingly jangly guitar of with faux cockney vocals is not by cup of tea but they were professional , engaging and made alot of slightly balding 40 something men very happy. One rather amusing moment towards the end of the set David Gedge, the band's singer and front man said at the end of one song 'Thank you Chelmsford, rather bemused silence, followed by laughter, sorry Cheltenham!'.

There was then a break and we toddled off to gran a delicious Masala Dhal and rice from The Goan Fish Curry people who are thankfully Wychwood regulars.

The headline act on the Main Stage was my absolute favourite group from my youth The Human League. I have to confess that I felt slightly nervous about what they would be like, after all we are all alot older now, but, phew! all was well they as they rocked on stage it was obvious that to me had , indeed, been kind to Phil Oakey, Susanne Sully and Joanne Catherall.

They launched into Sound of the Crowd and we were off a journey of greatest hits and new material that was all I wanted it to be and more . Hearing 'Love Action'  (my second all time favourite song) live on stage was a moment I will not forget.

This is now my third Wychwood and it feels like home, there is such  a great vibe and so much to see and do, and the best food and drink on offer.

This was my last day this year but it was the best Wychwood yet and this festival continues to grow. Thanks it was a blast.




No comments:

Post a Comment