Thursday 16 May 2013

Dust off those cobwebs and buckle up ,it's time for Wychwood 2013


Yes, it's time for Wychwood 2013 and it promises to be bigger and better than ever.

Held over three days and starting on 31 May 2013 on the world famous Cheltenham Racecourse, set in the glorious rolling hills of the Cotswolds, this is my personal preview of this years event.

Over the years Wychwood has continued to attract a eclectic mix of established artists from a  variety of musical genres and herein lies it's particular appeal, you never know quite know what to expect. This is perfect for me as my musical taste ranges from Frank Sinatra through to Led Zeppelin with everything in between.

I confess that Friday night is the big one for me , on the main stage will be the utterly magical and troubadour extraordinaire Sam Lee, his Mercury nominated album 'A Ground of It's, Own' takes it's inspiration not from the traditional folk song book but from old Romany songs handed down through the generations. Sam Lee has a truly original voice and presence and I am more excited about him being at Wychwood than anyone else!

BUT....there's more and headlining on the main stage Friday night are the legendary Soul 11 Soul...feeling those balmy summer nights rolling in just thinking about them, ah well, back to life...back to reality.

My Saturday is looking pretty good too, we kick off on the main stage with one of the most exciting live bands around at the moment The Moulettes currently ripping it up with The Mighty Levellers on tour right now.

Following that I shall be investigating a band my sister is raving about Public Broadcasting Service, I confess to knowing nothing about them but I have a feeling they are worth my time and attention.

It will then be a quick dash across to the main stage to see the Mighty Human League I shall be wearing my winged eyeliner and one black lace glove naturally ...'Don't you want me baby?'

After revisiting my youth and if I've still got enough energy it will be back to then Big Top for a cheeky boogie at the Headphone Disco.

Sunday will be less about the music and more about comedy and Bill Bailey on the main stage. Now, I confess to never having seen a comedian live and I have no idea what to expect other than I know he'll be funny!

I will also be catching the fabulous Ukelele Orchestra beforehand, they really are amazing and as fair removed from George Formby as you can imagine.

Finishing the proceedings on the Main Stage will be  Wychwood stalwarts Dread Zone so we are in safe hands.

In between my main choices I will be popping into BBC Gloucestershire tent to see the fabulous new and exciting talent that Wychwood champions every year.

These of course, are just my personal choices, the really great thing about Wychwood there really is something for everyone and particular families with an onsite Waterstones Children's Literature Festival, the ever popular Roald Dahl Museum and craft and art workshops.

So this is my Wychwood but I will of course be sampling some of the truly delicious food on offer ( best on offer any festival) you take chose Mexican, inventive veggie dishes, the best burgers ever and on it goes, and don't even start me on the beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment